How To Make Fake Tan Darker? In short, for a darker fake tan, consider exfoliating before application, using a gradual tanning lotion, applying in sections with a tanning mitt, leaving it on longer, and reapplying after 24 hours. It’s always advisable to read and follow the instructions on the tanning product you are using and consider patch tests before applying.
In this guide:
How to Make Fake Tan Darker: Tips and Tricks
Fake tanning is a great way to achieve a sun-kissed look without the harmful effects of UV rays. However, many people struggle to achieve the desired level of darkness with their fake tan. In this article, we will discuss some tips and tricks for making your fake tan darker.
- Exfoliate before applying fake tan: Exfoliating before applying fake tan is essential for achieving a dark, even tan. Exfoliating removes dead skin cells, allowing the fake tan to penetrate deeper into the skin. This results in a darker, longer-lasting tan. It’s important to exfoliate at least 24 hours before applying fake tan, as this will ensure that your skin is completely dry and the tan will adhere better.
- Use a Gradual Tanning Lotion: A gradual tanning lotion is an excellent option for those looking to achieve a darker fake tan. These lotions contain a small amount of DHA (dihydroxyacetone), the active ingredient in fake tan. Gradual tanning lotions allow you to build up the tan gradually over several days, resulting in a darker tan.
- Apply fake tan in sections: When applying fake tan, it’s essential to work in sections to ensure an even application. Start by applying the tan to one section of your body at a time (e.g., one leg), and then move on to the next section. This will ensure that the tan is applied evenly and that there are no missed spots.
- Use a tanning mitt: A tanning mitt is a specially designed tool to apply fake tan evenly and smoothly. The mitt also helps to prevent the hands from getting stained with fake tan, which can be difficult to remove. Using a tanning mitt is a great way to achieve a darker fake tan, as it helps to ensure an even application. The mitt allows for better control of the amount of fake tan being applied and helps to prevent over-application in certain areas. This results in a more natural-looking, even tan.
- Apply More Than One Coat: One way to make your fake tan darker is to apply more than one coat. This will give you a deeper, richer color. Be sure to wait at least 8 hours between coats to allow the first coat to develop fully. And remember to use a tanning mitt to avoid any uneven application.
- Leave fake tan on for longer: Leaving fake tan on for longer than the recommended time can help to enhance the depth of your tan. However, it’s important to note that this can also increase the risk of streaking and unevenness. To avoid this, apply the fake tan in sections and use a tanning mitt for an even application.
- Reapply fake tan: Reapplying fake tan can be a great way to develop a deeper, more pronounced color to your tan. By applying multiple layers of fake tan, you can create a deeper, richer color. However, it’s important to wait at least 24 hours between applications to ensure that the first layer of tan has fully developed. Applying fake tan before the previous layer fully develops can lead to patchiness and unevenness.
- Don’t Forget Sunscreen: It’s important to protect your skin from the sun’s UV rays, even when you’re trying to achieve a darker tan. The sun’s UV rays can cause damage to the skin, leading to wrinkles, age spots, and even skin cancer. It’s important to apply sunscreen with at least SPF 15 before applying fake tan and reapply every 2 hours. Sunscreen will protect your skin from harmful UV rays, which can cause premature aging, and sunburn and increase the risk of skin cancer.
- Stay Hydrated: Drinking plenty of water is an essential part of achieving a dark and even fake tan. When the skin is dehydrated, it can become dry, flaky, and dull, which can make it more difficult for the fake tan to adhere to the skin. Additionally, dehydrated skin can appear more prone to streaking and patchiness. When the skin is properly hydrated, it is more plump and elastic, which allows the fake tan to adhere better and create a more even and natural-looking tan.
Comparison of instant vs. gradual fake tan products
It is crucial to know the difference between instant and gradual fake tan products to choose the perfect one for you:
- Instant fake tan: This product will give you an immediate tan; they are perfect for special occasions where you want a darker tan quickly. However, they may not last as long and can be more likely to streak or look unnatural.
- Gradual fake tan: These products are used over time; they are perfect for those who want a natural-looking, buildable tan. They are less likely to streak or look unnatural, but they take longer to achieve the desired color.
Tips to avoid mistakes that can cause the fake tan to fade or turn patchy
- Applying too much: Applying too much fake tan can cause it to look patchy or uneven. Make sure to apply a small amount at a time and blend it well.
- Not blending well: Make sure to blend the fake tan well, especially around the ankles, knees, and elbows. These areas can absorb more fake tan, causing them to look darker.
- Not waiting long enough: Make sure to wait the recommended time before showering or getting dressed after applying a fake tan.
How To Use The Isle Of Paradise Self-Tanning Drops? In short, to use the Isle…
Does Sunscreen Ruin Fake Tan? In short, sunscreen can ruin a fake tan by causing…
Can I put fake tan over the sunburn? In short, applying fake tan over sunburned…
Does sunscreen help you tan faster? In short, sunscreen is designed to protect the skin…
Information on how to remove fake tan if it becomes too dark
If you’ve ended up with a fake tan that is darker than desired, don’t worry. There are several ways to lighten it.
- Exfoliate: Gently exfoliating your skin can help to remove some of the fake tans. Use a gentle exfoliating product or a loofah or exfoliating mitt to scrub your skin gently.
- Use baking soda: Mix baking soda with water to create a paste and gently scrub it over the area of the fake tan you want to remove.
- Lemon Juice: Lemon juice is known to lighten the skin; you can apply it on the affected area and leave it on for 15-20 minutes before rinsing it off.
- Consult with a professional: If you are not sure how to remove the fake tan or if you have sensitive skin, it’s best to consult with a professional esthetician or dermatologist for advice.
In summary, achieving the perfect dark tan requires combining the proper techniques and products. By exfoliating before tanning, using a tanning accelerator, applying a tanning oil, using sunscreen, using an FDA-approved tanning bed, gradually building up your tan, and staying hydrated, you’ll be able to achieve the ultra-dark tan you desire while also protecting your skin from damage.